A Medical Home for Your Family
A “medical home” is a medical office or clinic where a team of health professionals work together to provide a new, expanded type of care to patients. Having a medical home feels like having an old style family doctor, but with a team of professionals, using modern knowledge and technology, to provide the best possible care for you in their office.
Caring about YOU is the most important job of a medical home. The care in a medical home is personal, and the team’s job is to make sure you get the health care you need.
What Your Care Team Can Do For You
Learn About You
- Get to know you, your family, your life situation, and your preferences. We will do our best to remember these details about you every time you seek care, and suggest treatments that make sense for you.
- Treat you as a full partner in your care.
Communicate with You
- Give you time to ask questions, and answer them in a way you understand.
- Make sure you know and understand all of your options for care.
- Help you decide what care is best for you. Sometimes more care is not better care.
- Ask you for feedback about your experience getting care.
- Provide interpretive services as needed
Support You in Caring For Yourself
- Make sure you leave the office with a clear idea of how to care for yourself.
- Help you set goals for your care, and help you meet your goals one step at a time.
- Give you information about classes, support groups, or other types of services to help you learn more about your condition and stay healthy.
What You Can Do
Communicate with Your Care Team
- Always bring a list of questions to each of your appointments. Also bring a list of any medicines, vitamins, or remedies you use.
- Always tell your medical home team when you don’t understand something they said. Ask them to explain it in a different way.
- Always tell your medical home team if you get care from other health professionals so they can help coordinate the best care possible.
- Always talk openly with your care team about your experience getting care from the medical home so they can make care better.
Learn About Caring for Yourself
- Know that you are a full partner in your own care.
- Learn about your condition and what you can do to stay as healthy as possible.
- As best you can, follow the plan that you and your medical home team have agreed is important for your health. If you have questions, ask!
How a Medical Home Works For You
In a medical home your care team:
- Is available 24/7 – During business hours, call your clinic to communicate your needs with your care team. You can get advice over the phone or even a same day appointment when needed. Our patient portal is available as a way to communicate with your care team. On weekends and evenings, call our answering service at 423-328-1212 to speak with the physician on call.
- Knows you and your health History. They know enough about your personal or family situation to suggest treatment options that make sense for you.
- Makes sure you understand your condition(s) and how to take care of yourself. They help you sort through your options and make the best decisions about your care.
- Helps you coordinate your health care – even if they are not giving the care themselves. They will help you find specialists, get appointments, and make sure specialists have all the information they need. Your medical home team will also be sure you know what the specialists say and what it means for you.